Children and Sweetened Drinks: What’s a Parent to Do?
VITAMINS AND SUPPLEMENTS
- Multi-Vitamin, liquid or chewable
- Vitamin C, 200+ or -, esp. in flu season, crystals are best in juice of water
- Calcium/magnesium; 2:1 ratio, with Vit. D (400-600 iu) esp. if poor milk drinker or yogurt eater
- Omega 3 fatty acids; chewables (300 mg, fish or flax source) each day
- Probiotics, liquid, chewable or powder (Culturelle or Bio giah, or Florativia), Greek yogurt!
Note: try for 5-7 servings of fruit and or vegetables each day; Pomegranate and V8 juice are great; (no apple juice)
Teens and adults:
- Multiple Vitamin (men, no iron, fine for gals)
- Vitamin C, 500mg each day, Best provided in citrus, but pills or powder is fine
- Calcium/Magnesium, Vit D” all – in – one” tabs 800-1000 iu’s of Vit D/ day
- Omega- fish oil caps, or flax oil caps; (DHA + EPA, at least 1000 mg. /day. wild salmon or krill are best
- Co Q 10 for adults over 40 years for heart 100-200mg a day
- Glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate for joints and connective tissues health; also HA and MSM are joint- preserving
- Probiotics; everyday in yogurt or supplements
- Flax seed meal and oil caps
Also try to eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables each day; Pomegranate and vegetables juices are great (V8)
Generally, these products are best purchased at Health Foods Stores.